Pulpit Rock in War Memorial Park
One of the most important historic sites in West Bridgewater, MA, War Memorial Park commemorates the Town’s industrial heritage. It is regarded as the country’s first “industrial park” where shovels, nails, and other farming tools were produced in the late 18th century. During the Industrial Era, there were up to 13 different water-powered mills located at this site. Weirs and dams along the Town River were used by the mills and factories in this area are still intact.
Pulpit Rock, the site is a very first sermon preached by Rev. James Keith in 1663, is located in the northeast portion of the park overlooking the Town River.
In 1963, the property was purchased for $2,000 from the Ames Family is part of a WPA project to establish a historical park on the site. Landscape architect Evelyn Johnson designed War Memorial Park. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.