Ye Old Cotton Mill, Built 1800

Dublin Core

Title

Ye Old Cotton Mill, Built 1800

Description

Located on the corner of Furnace and Plymouth Streets, this building was built around 1800; water rights were initially acquired by Deacon Samuel Sturtevant in 1728; a furnace mill which closed in approximately 1845; then became a shoddy and cotton mill until about 1885. The building housed a box factory and later in the 1890's became Bosworth Brothers Box Factory for Brockton Shoe manufacturers. The mill's life ended about 1910. The water wheel remains and a lot of the mechanisms were taken to the mills that were being built in Hanson between 1972-1976 at Ginas Nukk,

Subject

Cotton Mill (Halifax, Mass.)

Bosworth Brothers Box Factory (Halifax, Mass.)

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Black-and-white photograph

Physical Dimensions

28 cm. x 33 cm.

Files

Citation

“Ye Old Cotton Mill, Built 1800 ,” SAILS Digital History Collections, accessed August 29, 2014, http://sailsinc.omeka.net/items/show/1509.

Social Bookmarking