Browse Items (16 total)

HHS_PCC_0031a.jpg
This is the Halifax Library/Post Office building. Out front is the mail wagon. The side says: R.F.D.

ROUTE

No. 1

U. S.

MAIL



This building is…

HHS_PCC_0027a.jpg
Photo of the 1905 "Old Home Day" celebration. There is a "woodmobile" demonstration taking place behind the Congregational Church. The portable wood saw was a hugh draw for the gentlemen in attendance. Note the carriage sheds. These were used on…

10_78_0005a.jpg
Old Home Day "Woodmobile and Portable Woodsaw" demonstrations behind the Congregational Church. Carriages and Carriage sheds as well as the fashions in 1900 can be seen. The "Hayward" house and Central School are in the background.

78_01_0238.jpg
Load of sawdust in Palmer Mill Yard. Fred Timmes is behind the wagon

78_01_0160.jpg
Country Store located on Plymouth Street, opposite the Congregational Church. Civil War Monument is in view. The front of Pope's Tavern can be seen behind the store. This business was run first by the Packard brothers then the Pooles, followed by…

HPL_003.jpg
The old schoolhouse from South Halifax was a gift from the J. L. Jones family. It was subsequently moved, converted and became the town's first library. For the first few years, the Post Office shared the building.

10_78_0017.jpg
Left to Right:

Ella F. (Sturtevant) Baker, James W. H. Baker (in chair), Zillah A. Baker, Guy S. Baker (with bike), and Blacksmith Jared B. Baker in front of their home on "Old" Plymouth Street.

78_01_0295b.jpg
Driver leaving Box Mill with load of shoe boxes headed to shoe factories in Brockton, Bridgewater or Middleboro. Workers can be seen in background on loading dock and another wagon waiting to be loaded.

78_01_0284.jpg
Men, horses and carriages are hauling lumber in front of the Palmer Lumber Yard barn
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2