West Bridgewater Public Library's Howard Seminary for Women photographs

Title

West Bridgewater Public Library's Howard Seminary for Women photographs

Description

The Howard Collegiate Institute began its classes on October 2, 1883 for girls and young women. Funds to start the school were provided by Capt. Benjamin B. Howard born in West Bridgewater on March 2, 1788. It became known as The Howard Seminary for Women. It was a separate enterprise as a private high school with buildings on the same campus as The Howard High School. Drury Hall and Packard Hall were buildings for this school. Howard Seminary was known as a wooden building 100 feet away from the Howard High School.

Items in the West Bridgewater Public Library's Howard Seminary for Women photographs Collection

Howard Seminary for Women
Nurse attending student at Howard Seminary for Women

Howard Seminary for Women - Girls swimming at YMCA Brockton
Three female students swimming in indoor pool at Brockton YMCA

Howard Seminary for Women
Six equestriennes on horseback in front of Drury Hall

Howard Seminary for Women Drury Hall driveway portico
Drury Hall driveway portico with hydrandras in background

Howard Seminary for Women - Softball game
Girls playing softball at Drury field with First Church in background with spectators

Howard Seminary for Women Packard Hall artroom
Packard Hall artroom with four female students drawing

Howard Seminary for Women -Students taking an exam
Classroom with eighteen students taking an exam

Howard Seminary  for Women Reception tea
Reception tea with three female students and a teacher

Howard Seminary for Women Graduation photo
Graduation class with Dean of Students on front steps of The First Church. Pastor Paul E. Lauffer listed on signage in right background

Howard Seminary for Women - Students in chemistry lab
Three female students in chemistry lab